Monday, August 25, 2008

What to do with all these Tomatoes

One of my oldest friends Elizabeth has a lovely little garden, and in that lovely little garden, she has lots and lots of tomatoes. Just about all summer she has been graciously offering me tomatoes and other home grown vegetables. And it just so happened to take me until nearly the end of summer to take her up on that offer. The other day I was feeding my addiction on TasteSpotting and come across this blog that had a fantastic and beautiful recipe for a tomato and goat cheese tart. So without a moment's hesitation, I had made plans with Elizabeth to make this lovely tart. 

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart
adapted from Nami-Nami blog

1 sheet of puff pastry
5 ounces soft and creamy goat cheese
4 teaspoons fresh basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-4 ripe tomatoes
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Roll out puff pastry dough and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Carefully score a line about 1/2 inch from the edge around the entire pastry, be sure not to cute all the way through! This will help the edges to puff up and keep the filling inside.
Mix the cheese, garlic, chopped basil and salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Spread the mixture evenly over the puff pastry, staying inside the scored lines.
Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and neatly place them over top the cheese mixture, being sure to stay inside the lines.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until pastry is golden and the tomatoes have dried up a bit.
Let sit for about 10 minutes then cut into squares and enjoy!

This was so much fun to make! I'm sure a great deal of it had to do with the fact that I was making this with a close friend, but either way. The ingredients were so simple and fresh, it was hard not to be excited about the outcome. It was such an easy recipe that took very little time to prepare, yet the final product was so elegant. And as for the taste...it was wonderful!! Elizabeth and I ended up eating most of it...we just kept going back and cutting off more. I highly, highly recommend trying this recipe.

2 comments:

Pille said...

Amy, I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the tart! It looks beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

For the record, that's oldest friend in time-known, not in years lived! ;)

I'm seconding Amy's recommendation of this recipe - I'll definitely be making this again. Totally to die for, and easy and quick to make. What's not to love?