Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just Peachy

Well, as promised, I am still here and just so happened to have an abundance of peaches that desperately needed to be used, and were pretty much begging me to bake them into a pie. But I didn't stop there, not only did I use me some peaches, I also used me some blackberries. And can I just tell you how lovely the marriage between peaches and blackberries is? I'm not sure I really have to, but just in case there are those out there that are slightly unsure...peaches and blackberries were meant to be together. I find peach pie by itself to be slightly on the unexciting side, so tossing in some blackberries really got the party started. 

Using my trusty Joy Of Cooking I found the recipe titled "Any Fruit Pie." Now that's just the best recipe title, because the possibilities are endless!!! I use it quite often.  


Peach Blackberry Pie
Adapted from the Joy Of Cooking

Recipe for a two crust pie dough
3 cups peaches, pealed and sliced (fresh or frozen)
2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Prepare pie dough of choice, let chill.
Combine all ingredients except butter in a large bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour pie filling into rolled out bottom crust and dot pieces of butter all over the top of the filling.
Using your finger or a pastry brush, brush the edge of the pie dough all the way around the dish, to create a sticky surface for the two crusts to attach.
Top with top crust, seal all around and crimp together.
Cut steam vents in the top and bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
After 30 min. reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes more.
Let cool for 2-3 hours before serving to allow the juices in the filling to set.

The above picture is what was left. Need I say more? 

2 comments:

Erin said...

I've been wanting to make peach pie the entier summer since I have a friend whose family sells the most amazing peaches of my life. Big surprise, I never got around to it. Maybe I'll have to bring some to school and stop by your apartment :)
I can't wait to see you!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Delicious looking pie! Just went to the peach farm and boy do I have peaches!