Sunday, December 13, 2009

'Tis the Season


Well, that time of year has definitely come upon us. Much to my surprise, just about all of my christmas shopping is finished, just a few last minute things to put together. I have always been a slight scrooge during the holidays, but I've decided that its less of a dislike of christmas itself as it is a dislike of all the "hollabaloo" surrounding the holidays. I just get the feeling from everyone around me that it's a time to rush rush rush and buy buy buy! What happened to just enjoying those you love?

This year is unique to my family because this thursday, my mom is scheduled to have a hysterectomy to remove the cancer from her uterus. We are all trying very hard to stay positive and be supportive for her, but I think I can speak for everyone involved that we are all a little scared. I can rationally tell myself that really everything will probably be ok, but my emotions disagree. So this is going to be a different, possibly challenging christmas for us.

That being said, I am still very excited for our christmas morning where my brother and I will make breakfast and drink mimosas while opening presents. Unlike most families' christmas, ours is very low key and relaxed, being that there are only five of us including my grandma.

I'm keeping my chin up and just being there for my mom whenever I can. Cherish the ones you love!

No comments: