Saturday, May 16, 2009

It's Cupcake Season!

It was my mom's birthday yesterday and what better excuse do you need to make cupcakes? I saw these cupcakes on foodgawker a while back and I've been looking for an occasion to make them, so thank you mother for having a birthday. They were just absolutely delightful! The use of pink lemonade concentrate made them tart and not too sweet. 

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
courtesy of Simply Sweet Bake Shop

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites
1/3 cup thawed frozen Pink Lemonade Concentrate
1/4 buttermilk
Pink food coloring

- Preheat of to 350F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites and lemonade concentrate. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until just smooth.
- Add just enough food coloring to turn the batter a light shade of pink ( I didn't have any pink or red food coloring...so I just left this part out).
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full with batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before icing.

Lemonade Buttercream

3 cups + 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Pink Lemonade Concentrate
Pink food coloring

-Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on low using paddle attachment until combined.
- Turn the speed to med-high and blend until the buttercream is fluffy and uniformly pink. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

This was a great recipe, I got 9 cupcakes out of the recipe, which is the perfect number for me! The icing was a great consistency for piping but my only criticism was that the butter flavor was a little strong for my taste, in the future I think I'll substitute 4 tablespoons of shortening to cut back on the butter. Overall I look forward to making these again. Enjoy!!

No comments: