Monday, February 16, 2009

Crock Pot Goodness

So this weekend Kyle came in to visit me. And it is usually expected that I make a delicious dinner of his request. What I like about these requests is that they are usually very simple, cheap and easy, and if you've seen my tiny apartment kitchen, these are all good things. Just imagine the types of foods you'd feed a five year old and you'll pretty much have Kyle's favorite dinners, think: mac n cheese from the box, homemade mac n cheese, pigs in a blanket, pizza, breaded chicken, more mac n cheese...see any pattern? Anyways, for this friday, he requested crock pot chili mac n cheese...with his mother's mac n cheese recipe. 

Crock Pot Chili Mac 'n Cheese
adapted from Kyle's mom's recipe

8 oz. macaroni
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
3 eggs, beaten (I think next time I will use 2 eggs, I felt like 3 made it too "custardy")
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1-2 cans chili of your liking
3 cups cheese, any kind, divided
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni to just barely al dente and drain. 
Combine evaporated milk, melted butter, mustard and eggs in a bowl, mix well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Mix in 2 cups cheese, macaroni and chili.
Place in greased crock pot, top with remaining cup of cheese and cook on low for 3 hours. DO NOT OPEN LID DURING COOKING TIME!

I would have liked to get more pictures of this finished, but Kyle wanted to eat it...right away. Anyways, I enjoyed this recipe, but as mentioned above, I think I'll use just 2 eggs next time. I felt like it was too set by the time the 3 hours was up, and with just 2 eggs, it should be more creamy. And who doesn't like chili? What a fantastic combo, enjoy!


No comments: