Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wedding Shower Treats Pt. 1


One of my close friends from high school is getting married this June and I am the maid of honor. Therefore, it is my job to host the wedding shower...which is this weekend. One of my many tasks within this job is to make the food for the 22 people invited (even though no one RSVP back to me...thanks guys). One of the sweets I chose to have are toasted almond shortbread cookies. I got the recipe from Barefoot Contessa but I substituted toasted almonds for the pecans. 


I recently discovered my absolute love for shortbread, it is the perfect cookie, not too sweet  with that hint of saltiness...delicious. This recipe is so easy to put together and I found the dough very nice with which to work. None of that evil, unmanageable dough that fights you the whole way.


Toasted Almond Shortbread Cookies
Courtesy of The Barefoot Contessa

3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped toasted almonds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahraheit
With an electric mixer, blend the butter and sugar until just combined. Add the extracts. In a seperate bowl, sift together to flour and salt and add to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the almonds and blend until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. 
Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut into any shape you like. Bake for 15-20 minutes (I found that 15 minutes was almost too long, so keep an eye on them).


1 comment:

Erin said...

Mmm, almond shortbread...